Thursday, November 5, 2009

Dessert: Buckeyes (For those Ohioans out there!) ☃



A specialty of Ohio is the buckeye candy, a peanut butter and chocolate confection made to resemble the nut of an ohio Buckeye tree. 

Ingredients:
1 1/2 c peanut butter
1/2 c margarine or butter
1 lb powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 c chocolate chips
2 tbs Crisco


Directions:
1. Mix peanut butter, margarine or butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla in bowl (it helps to soften the margarine or butter).
2. Shape into 1" balls.
3. Refrigerate balls
4. Meanwhile, melt chocolate with a bit of crisco (so the chocolate will harden. Without crisco, chocolate will remain soft.) in double boiler.
5. Insert toothpick into refrigerated balls and dip into chocolate, leaving a small area resembling a buckeye.
6. cool on wax paper and store in refrigerator or freezer.
Reviews- If you get tired of rolling them out and dipping them, you could press about 1/2 of it into an 8x8 pan and serve as peanut butter fudge. I did cut the recipe in half and it still turned out wonderful. I put them in the freezer after rolling and let them harded. I found the chocolate set up a lot quicker this way. I used about 2 tablespoons of crisco, and probably will use a little less next time.  I used about 3tbs and it worked fine. Next time I will try less powdered sugar as I thought it overpowered the peanut butter flavor.

* I double the recipe and used about 2 bags of chocolate chips with 2.5 tablespoons of crisco. I had to add more peanut butter to the recipe because they were too dry! I ended up using 2 jars of peanut butter... 10 oz each... I think

No comments:

Post a Comment